From Greg Bledsoe <g...@personal.com>
Subject Re: Why Hadoop force using DNS?
Date Mon, 29 Jul 2013 15:33:52 GMT
But even if you have permission to change /etc/hosts, /etc/hosts resolution seems to introduce
instability for the reverse lookup leading to unpredictable results.  Dns gets used and if
this doesn't match your /etc/hosts file, you have problems.  Or am I missing something?

Greg

From: Chris Embree <cembree@gmail.com<mailto:cembree@gmail.com>>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 09:45:22 -0500
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>" <user@hadoop.apache.org<mailto:user@hadoop.apache.org>>
Subject: Re: Why Hadoop force using DNS?

Just for clarity,  DNS as a service is NOT Required.  Name resolution is.  I use /etc/hosts
files to identify all nodes in my clusters.

One of the reasons for using Names over IP's is ease of use.  I would much rather use a hostname
in my XML to identify NN, JT, etc. vs. some random string of numbers.

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Greg Bledsoe <greg@personal.com<mailto:greg@personal.com>>