From Robert Evans <ev...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Re: Apache Hadoop licensing question
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2013 17:58:29 GMT
I am not a lawyer so please do not take my comments in any way as legally binding. When releasing
the code the general guideline I have received is to make sure that there is a header in all
of your files indicating the license being used and where to get the full text of the license.
 We generally use the following header (for the apache foundation)

  Licensed under the Apache License, Version 2.0 (the "License");
  you may not use this file except in compliance with the License.
  You may obtain a copy of the License at

  limitations under the License. See accompanying LICENSE file.

Connected to this you probably want to include the full text of the license in a LICENSE file
like indicated in the header.  Some files are binary files and cannot have this header in
there, you don't need to try to do crazy thing to include it in those files.

You may also want to put in a copyright statement in each file.  This removes any ambiguity
about who actually owns the copyright of the code.  In Apache we don't do this, but we have
git, svn, and JIRA to be able to trace back exactly which contributions came from whom.  This
is more important if you think you may want to try and have your project be part of Apache
in the future.

As for usage of the logo, if you use it in a way that is referring to a release of the Apache
Distribution of Hadoop, and not claiming that your code is part of Hadoop or is Hadoop in
any way then there should be no issue.  If you want to be totally on the up and up you can
try to send a mail to private@apache.org and ask the PMC to give your permission to use it,
but that may take a while, just because everyone is busy and we will probably want to see
how the logo is being used in context.

--Bobby