From Robin East <robin.e...@xense.co.uk>
Subject Re: Exception in createBlockOutputStream - poss firewall issue
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 20:08:32 GMT
Hi John, exactly what I was thinking, however I haven't found a way to do that. If I ever have
time I'll trawl through the code, however I've managed to avoid the issue by placing both
machines inside the firewall.

Regards
Robin

Sent from my iPhone

On 2 Jul 2013, at 19:48, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net> wrote:

> I don’t know the answer… but if it is possible to make the DNs report a domain-name
instead of an IP quad it may help.
> John

address. The internal address yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy is not a routable address for the client. The
client can reach the namenode on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx but I guess the data node must advertise
itself using the internal address (yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy). What is the way round this ( not an uncommon
problem in secure environments).

> Robin
>
> Sent from my iPad
>
> On 27 Jun 2013, at 03:41, Harsh J <harsh@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
> Clients will read/write data to the DNs directly. DNs serve on port 50010 and 50020 by
default. Please open up these ports, aside of the NN's RPC ports, to be able to read/write
data.

> On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 2:23 AM, Robin East <robin.east@xense.co.uk> wrote:
> I have a single node hadoop cluster setup behind a firewall and am trying to create files
using a java program outside the firewall and get the exception below. The java program works
fine inside the firewall. The ip address for the single cluster is xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx however
it appears that in the createBlockOutputStream the client things the data node is at ip yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy
(the internal address of the cluster) which is not accessible.
> The java code looks like this (using hadoop 1.1.2):
>
>     private static void createHdfsFile() throws IOException {
>         Configuration conf = new Configuration();
>         conf.set("fs.default.name", "hdfs://"+hdfsHost+":9000");
>         FileSystem hdfs = FileSystem.get(conf);
>         System.out.println("HDFS Working Directory: " + hdfs.getWorkingDirectory().toString());
>         FSDataOutputStream os = hdfs.create(new Path("/user/hadoop/test2.txt"));
>
>         os.writeChars("Example text\n for a hadoop write call\n\ntesting\n");
>         os.close();
>     }
>
> Any idea how I can get this to work?
>

> HDFS Working Directory: hdfs://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:9000/user/zzzzz
> Jun 26, 2013 8:08:52 PM org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream createBlockOutputStream
> INFO: Exception in createBlockOutputStream yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:50010 java.net.ConnectException:
Connection timed out: no furth
> er information
> Jun 26, 2013 8:08:52 PM org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream nextBlockOutputStream
> INFO: Abandoning block blk_4933973859208379842_1028
> Jun 26, 2013 8:08:53 PM org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream nextBlockOutputStream
> INFO: Excluding datanode yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy:50010
> Jun 26, 2013 8:08:53 PM org.apache.hadoop.hdfs.DFSClient$DFSOutputStream$DataStreamer
run
> WARNING: DataStreamer Exception: org.apache.hadoop.ipc.RemoteException: java.io.IOException:
File /user/hadoop/test2.txt