From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: Containers and CPU
Date Tue, 02 Jul 2013 19:12:26 GMT
Sandy,
Sorry, I don't completely follow.
When you say "with cgroups on", is that an attribute of the AM, the Scheduler, or the Site/RM?
 In other words is it site-wide or something that my application can control?
With cgroups on, is there still a way to get my desired behavior?  I'd really like all tasks
to have access to all CPU cores and simply fight it out in the OS thread scheduler.
Thanks,
john

From: Sandy Ryza [mailto:sandy.ryza@cloudera.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 02, 2013 11:56 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Containers and CPU

CPU limits are only enforced if cgroups is turned on.  With cgroups on, they are only limited
when there is contention, in which case tasks are given CPU time in proportion to the number
of cores requested for/allocated to them.  Does that make sense?

-Sandy

On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 9:50 AM, Chuan Liu <chuanliu@microsoft.com<mailto:chuanliu@microsoft.com>>