From Devaraj k <devara...@huawei.com>
Subject RE: Which InputFormat to use?
Date Fri, 05 Jul 2013 05:23:48 GMT
Hi Ahmed,

                Hadoop 0.20.0 included the new mapred API, these sometimes refer as context
objects. These are designed to make API easier to evolve in future. There are some differences
between new & old API's,

> The new API's favour abstract classes rather than interfaces, since abstract classes
are easy to evolve.
> New API's use context objects like MapContext & ReduceContext to connect the user
code.
> The old API has a special JobConf object for jobconf, in new API Job configuration will
be done using Configuration.

You can find the new API's in org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.input.* package and its sub
packages, old API's in org.apache.hadoop.mapred.* package its sub packages.

The new API is type-incompatible with the old, we need to rewrite the jobs to make use of
these advantages.

Based on these things you can select which API's to use.

Thanks
Devaraj k