From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: SSD support in HDFS
Date Thu, 13 Jun 2013 02:35:40 GMT
I could have sworn there was a thread on this already. (Maybe the HBase list?)

Andrew P. kinda nailed it when he talked about the fact that you had to write the replication(s).

If you wanted improved performance, why not look at the hybrid drives that have a small SSD
buffer and a spinning disk?

I don't know but it may be what you're looking for.

HTH

-Mike

On Jun 12, 2013, at 5:18 AM, Lucas Stanley <lucas23145@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Chris and Phil.
>

> On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 1:31 PM, Chris Nauroth <cnauroth@hortonworks.com> wrote:
> Hi Lucas,
>
> HDFS does not have this capability right now, but there has been some preliminary discussion
around adding features to support it.  You might want to follow jira issues HDFS-2832 and
HDFS-4672 if you'd like to receive notifications about the discussion.

> Chris Nauroth
> Hortonworks
> http://hortonworks.com/
>

> On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Lucas Stanley <lucas23145@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to tell Apache HDFS to store some files on SSD and the rest of the files
on spinning disks?

> So if each on my nodes has 1 SSD and 5 spinning disks, can I configure a directory in
HDFS to put all files in that dir on the SSD?