From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: yarn-site.xml and aux-services
Date Wed, 05 Jun 2013 17:41:23 GMT
Wow, thanks.  Is this documented anywhere other than the code?  I hate to waste y'alls time
on things that can be RTFMed.
John

-----Original Message-----
From: Harsh J [mailto:harsh@cloudera.com]
Sent: Wednesday, June 05, 2013 9:35 AM
To: <user@hadoop.apache.org>
Subject: Re: yarn-site.xml and aux-services

John,

The format is ID and sub-config based:

First, you define an ID as a service, like the string "foo". This is the ID the applications
may lookup in their container responses map we discussed over another thread (around shuffle
handler).

<property>
    <name>yarn.nodemanager.aux-services</name>
    <value>foo</value>
</property>

Then you define an actual implementation class for that ID "foo", like so:

<property>
<name>yarn.nodemanager.aux-services.foo.class</name>
<value>com.mypack.MyAuxServiceClassForFoo</value>
</property>

If you have multiple services foo and bar, then it would appear like the below (comma separated
IDs and individual configs):

<property>
    <name>yarn.nodemanager.aux-services</name>
    <value>foo,bar</value>
</property>
<property>
    <name>yarn.nodemanager.aux-services.foo.class</name>
    <value>com.mypack.MyAuxServiceClassForFoo</value>
</property>
<property>
    <name>yarn.nodemanager.aux-services.bar.class</name>
    <value>com.mypack.MyAuxServiceClassForBar</value>
</property>

On Wed, Jun 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net> wrote:
> Good, I was hoping that would be the case.  But what are the mechanics of it?  Do I just
add another entry?  And what exactly is "madreduce.shuffle"?  A scoped class name?  Or a key
string into some map elsewhere?

> e.g. like:
>
> <property>
>     <name>yarn.nodemanager.aux-services</name>
>     <value>mapreduce.shuffle</value>
> </property>
> <property>
>     <name>yarn.nodemanager.aux-services</name>
>     <value>myauxserviceclassname</value>
> </property>
>
> Concerning auxiliary services -- do they communicate with NodeManager via RPC?  Is there
an interface to implement?  How are they opened and closed with NodeManager?

> Thanks
> John

It needs to be on the NodeManager CLASSPATH to run (and NM has to be restarted to apply).

--
Harsh J