From Alexander Alten-Lorenz <wget.n...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Migration needed when updating within an Hadoop release
Date Fri, 14 Jun 2013 10:10:50 GMT
Hi Björn,

> has it ever happened that a migration of persistent data has been needed (or automatically
executed) when updating a Hadoop installation within a release? If so, where could I find
information regarding such needed migration?

Normally, when you change the minor release, you need to upgrade HDFS (http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/stable/hdfs_user_guide.html#Upgrade+and+Rollback).
This will happen when you switch major branches.

> I would be interested because the runtime of such migration would probably depend on
the amount of managed data and had to be planned.
Depends how much data you've stored. Michael has written a excellent blog post about:
http://www.michael-noll.com/blog/2011/08/23/performing-an-hdfs-upgrade-of-an-hadoop-cluster/

Cheers,
 Alex

--