From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject built hadoop! please help with next steps?
Date Thu, 30 May 2013 16:32:15 GMT
Thanks for help me to build Hadoop!  I'm through compile and install of maven plugins into
Eclipse.  I could use some pointers for next steps I want to take, which are:

*         Deploy the simplest "development only" cluster (single node?) and learn how to debug
within it.  I read about the "local runner" configuration here (http://wiki.apache.org/hadoop/HowToDebugMapReducePrograms),
does that still apply to MR2/YARN?  It seems like an old page; perhaps there is a newer FAQ?

*         Build and run the ApplicationMaster "shell" sample, and use that as a starting point
for a customer AM.  I would much appreciate any advice on getting the edit/build/debug cycle
ironed out for an AM.

*         Setup Hadoop source for easier browsing and learning (Eclipse load?).  What is typically
done to make for easy browsing of referenced classes/methods by name?

Thanks
John