From John Lilley <john.lil...@redpoint.net>
Subject RE: Shuffle phase replication factor
Date Wed, 22 May 2013 14:46:55 GMT
This brings up another nagging question I've had for some time.  Between HDFS and shuffle,
there seems to be the potential for "every node connecting to every other node" via TCP.
Are there explicit mechanisms in place to manage or limit simultaneous connections?  Is the
protocol simply robust enough to allow a server-side to disconnect at any time to free up
slots and the client-side will retry the request?
Thanks
john

From: Shahab Yunus [mailto:shahab.yunus@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 8:38 AM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Shuffle phase replication factor

As mentioned by Bertrand, Hadoop, The Definitive Guide, is well... really definitive :) place
to start. It is pretty thorough for starts and once you are gone through it, the code will
start making more sense too.

Regards,
Shahab

On Wed, May 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net<mailto:john.lilley@redpoint.net>>