From Raj Hadoop <hadoop...@yahoo.com>
Subject Error while extracting hadoop tar
Date Thu, 16 May 2013 16:47:39 GMT
I am getting the following error. Does this mean the tar file is corrupted? Do i need to download
it again? Please advise.
$ tar xzf hadoop-1.1.2.tar.gz
gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive

________________________________
From: Mohammad Tariq <dontariq@gmail.com>
To: "user@hadoop.apache.org" <user@hadoop.apache.org>; Raj Hadoop <hadoopraj@yahoo.com>

Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2013 12:02 PM
Subject: Re: Configuring SSH - is it required? for a psedo distriburted mode?

Hello Raj,

     ssh is actually 2 things :
1- ssh : The command we use to connect to remote machines - the client.
2- sshd : The daemon that is running on the server and allows clients to connect to the server.
ssh is pre-enabled on Linux, but in order to start sshd daemon, we need to install ssh first.

To start the Hadoop daemons you have to make ssh passwordless and issue bin/start-dfs.sh and
bin/start-mapred.sh.

You might find this link useful.

Warm Regards,
Tariq
cloudfront.blogspot.com

On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 9:26 PM, Raj Hadoop <hadoopraj@yahoo.com> wrote:

Hi,

>I am a bit confused here. I am planning to run on a single machine.
>
>So what should i do to start hadoop processes. How should I do an SSH? Can you please
breifly explain me what SSH is?

>Thanks,
>Raj

you can live without if you are willing to enter your password for each process that gets
started.

>But Why wouldn't you want to implement passwordless ssh in a pseudo distributed cluster
?  Its very easy to implement on a single node:

>cat ~/.ssh/id_rsa.pub /root/.ssh/authorized_keys
>

>On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Jay Vyas <jayunit100@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>Yes it is required -- in psuedodistributed node the jobtracker is not necessarily aware
that the task trackers  / data nodes are on the same machine, and will thus attempt to ssh
into them when starting the respective deamons etc (i.e. start-all.sh)

>>On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 11:21 AM, kishore alajangi <alajangikishore@gmail.com>
wrote:

>>When you start the hadoop procecess, each process will ask the password to start,
to overcome this we will configure SSH if you use single node or multiple nodes for each
process, if you can enter the password for each process Its not a mandatory even if you use
multiple systems.

>>>Thanks,
>>>Kishore.
>>>

>>>On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 8:24 PM, Raj Hadoop <hadoopraj@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,

psedo distributed mode on this box. I want to test my programs on this machine. But i see
that in installation steps - they were mentioned that SSH needs to be configured. If it is
single node, I dont require it ...right? Please advise.

your local machine if you want to use Hadoop on it (which is what we want to do in this short
tutorial). For our single-node setup of Hadoop, we therefore need to configure SSH access
to localhost for the hduser user we created in the previous section.