From Arpit Gupta <ar...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Permission problem
Date Tue, 30 Apr 2013 14:25:12 GMT
what is your mapred.system.dir set to in mapred-site.xml?

By default it will write to /tmp on hdfs.

So you can do the following

create /tmp on hdfs and chmod it to 777 as user hdfs and then restart jobtracker and tasktrackers.

In case its set to /mapred/something then create /mapred and chown it to user mapred.

--
Arpit Gupta
Hortonworks Inc.

On Apr 30, 2013, at 6:36 AM, "Kevin Burton" <rkevinburton@charter.net> wrote:

> To further complicate the issue the log file in (/var/log/hadoop-0.20-mapreduce/hadoop-hadoop-jobtracker-devUbuntu05.log)
is owned by mapred:mapred and the name of the file seems to indicate some other lineage (hadoop,hadoop).
I am out of my league in understanding the permission structure for hadoop hdfs and mr. Ideas?

‘hdfs’ owning the root (‘/’) but for some reason with a M/R job the user ‘mapred’
needs to have write permission to the root. I don’t know how to satisfy both conditions.
That is one reason that I relaxed the permission to 775 so that the group would also have
write permission but that didn’t seem to help.

Permission denied: user=mapred, access=WRITE, inode="/":hdfs:supergroup:drwxrwxr-x