From Mark <static.void....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best format to use
Date Tue, 09 Apr 2013 16:51:47 GMT
Actually, compressed sequence files may not work with Pig or Hive then right?

On Apr 9, 2013, at 9:50 AM, Mark <static.void.dev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Forgetting Impala, what format would be best to use with daily logs?
>
> Block-compressed sequence files?
>
> On Apr 8, 2013, at 8:12 PM, Harsh J <harsh@cloudera.com> wrote:
>
>> Hey Mark,
>>
>> Gzip codec creates extension .gzip, not .deflate (which is
>> DeflateCodec). You may want to re-check your settings.
>>
>> Impala questions are best resolved at its current user and developer
>> community at https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/forum/#!forum/impala-user.
>> Impala does currently support LZO (and also Indexed LZO) compressed
>> text files however, so you may want to try that as its splittable
>> (compared to Gzip ones).
>>
>> On Tue, Apr 9, 2013 at 5:18 AM, Mark <static.void.dev@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Trying to determine what the best format to use for storing daily logs. We recently
switch from snappy (.snappy) to gzip (.deflate) but I'm wondering if there is something better?
Our main clients for these daily logs are pig and hive using an external table. We were thinking
about testing out impala but we see that it doesn't work with compressed text files. Any suggestions?