From Felix GV <fe...@mate1inc.com>
Subject Re: Why do some blocks refuse to replicate...?
Date Fri, 29 Mar 2013 00:13:14 GMT
I'm using the version of hadoop in CDH 4.2, which is a version of Hadoop
2.0 with a bunch of patches on top...

I've tried copying one block and its .meta file to one of my new DN, then
restarted the DN service, and it did pick up the missing block and
replicate it properly within the new slaves. So... that's great, but it's
also super annoying, I don't want to have to pick and choose each block
manually. Although I guess I could parse the output of fsck, figure out
where the blocks are and script the whole thing.

I'm now trying to rsync all of the data from an old node to a new one, and
see if it's gonna be able to pick that up, but I'm afraid the subdir
structure might not port over nicely to the new node. Also, this is
acceptable today to save me from picking each block manually (or come up
with the script) because I don't have that much data on the old node, but
if I had gotten in that situation with a large amount of data, that would
not have been a very good solution...

I'll report back when I'll have made some more progres...

--
Felix