From Mehmet Belgin <mehmet.bel...@oit.gatech.edu>
Subject Re: Cannot use env variables in "hodrc"
Date Fri, 08 Feb 2013 15:10:20 GMT
Hello Hemanth,

I am using hadoop 1.1.1 and the hod that is distributed with it. I was able to submit an allocation
request and received a Cluster Id, however I am seeing the error "Failed to retrieve 'hdfs'
service address."

If you think this is due to the lack of hadoop support, then I will stop here, but I would
really like to have hod on our clusters since there is significant demand for it from our
researchers. I am hoping hod will not be abandoned in the near future, because it is a neat
way to experiment with hadoop! I was assuming hod would be supported given that it is in the
hadoop package :(

Thanks for your reply!

-Mehmet

On Feb 8, 2013, at 3:01 AM, Hemanth Yamijala wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Hadoop On Demand is no longer supported with recent releases of Hadoop. There is no separate
user list for HOD related questions.

> Which version of Hadoop are you using right now ?
>
> Thanks
> hemanth
>

> On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 8:59 PM, Mehmet Belgin <mehmet.belgin@oit.gatech.edu> wrote:
> Hello again,
>
> Considering that I have not received any replies, I was wondering whether this is not
the correct list for "hod" questions? Please let me know if I should better direct this question
to another list, a hod-specific one perhaps?

> Thank you!
>

> > On a related note, env-vars is also being ignored:
> >
> > env-vars                        = HOD_PYTHON_HOME=/usr/local/packages/python/2.5.1/bin/python2.5
> >
> > And hod picks the system-default python and terminates with errors unless I manually
export HOD_PYTHON_HOME.

> > export HOD_PYTHON_HOME=`which python2.5`
> >
> > I am also having problems having hod use the cluster I created, but I assume those
issues are also related.

> > How can I make sure that "hodrc" contents are passed correctly into hod?
> >
> > Thanks a lot in advance!
> >

> > On Feb 5, 2013, at 4:41 PM, Mehmet Belgin wrote:
> >
> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> I am setting up Hadoop for the first time, so please bear with me while I ask
all these beginner questions :)

> >> I followed the instructions to create a hodrc, but looks like I cannot user
env variables in this file:

> >> error: bin/hod failed to start.
> >> error: invalid 'java-home' specified in section hod (--hod.java-home): ${JAVA_HOME}
> >> error: invalid 'batch-home' specified in section resource_manager (--resource_manager.batch-home):
${RM_HOME}

> >> ... despite the fact that I have " ${JAVA_HOME}" and "${RM_HOME}" correctly
defined in my environment. When I replace these variables with full explicit paths, it works.
I checked the permissions, and everything else looks fine.