From Lucas Bernardi <luc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: map reduce and sync
Date Sat, 23 Feb 2013 22:03:02 GMT
That is exactly what I did, but in my case, it is like if the file were
empty, the job counters say no bytes read.
I'm using hadoop 1.0.3 which version did you try?

What I'm trying to do is just some basic analyitics on a product search
system. There is a search service, every time a user performs a search, the
search string, and the results are stored in this file, and the file is
sync'ed. I'm actually using pig to do some basic counts, it doesn't work,
like I described, because the file looks empty for the map reduce
components. I thought it was about pig, but I wasn't sure, so I tried a
simple mr job, and used the word count to test the map reduce compoinents
actually see the sync'ed bytes.

Of course if I close the file, everything works perfectly, but I don't want
to close the file every while, since that means I should create another one
(since no append support), and that would end up with too many tiny files,
something we know is bad for mr performance, and I don't want to add more
parts to this (like a file merging tool). I think unign sync is a clean
solution, since we don't care about writing performance, so I'd rather keep
it like this if I can make it work.

Any idea besides hadoop version?

Thanks!

Lucas