From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop Scalability
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2013 22:53:50 GMT
Obviously the algorithm matters, but here are some very old numbers (things today are much
better), but you do see the 'linear' scaling with both nodes and datasets:

http://developer.yahoo.com/blogs/hadoop/posts/2009/05/hadoop_sorts_a_petabyte_in_162/
100TB Sort - 97 mins
1000 TB Sort - 975 mins

Arun

On Jan 17, 2013, at 7:09 PM, Thiago Vieira wrote:

> Hello!
>
> Is common to see this sentence: "Hadoop Scales Linearly". But, is there any performance
evaluation to confirm this?

> In my evaluations, Hadoop processing capacity scales linearly, but not proportional to
number of nodes, the processing capacity achieved with 20 nodes is not the double of the processing
capacity achieved with 10 nodes. Is there any evaluation about this?

--
Arun C. Murthy
Hortonworks Inc.