From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Scheduling non-MR processes
Date Sat, 12 Jan 2013 17:00:19 GMT
Perhaps JNI is your best bet at this point. I am not aware of a native
C++ interface for YARN available yet, although in 2.x releases or 2.x
based distributions the protocol communication is done using protocol
buffers, which may perhaps be a primitive step to having native
interfaces (many would like to have something easy for C/C++, so if
there's anything you end up finding/developing, do share!).

On Sat, Jan 12, 2013 at 10:14 PM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net> wrote:
> Harsh,
>
> Thanks for the insight!  I didn't realize that YARN was more than a more-scalable MR
scheduler.  So if we program our application to schedule its tasks directly with YARN we should
be able to do what I am describing?  Is there any non-native-Java interop for YARN or should
we focus on JNI for that?

> John

allows other forms of generic, distributed apps to be developed for any other purposes.

>> Perhaps if I explain why I think this is not suitable for regular MR
>> jobs it may help.  Suppose that I have stored into HDFS a very large
>> file for which there is no Java library.  JNI could be an option, but
>> wrapping the complex function of legacy application code into JNI may
>> be more work than it is worth.  The application performs some very
>> complex processing, and this is something that we don't necessarily want to redesign
to fit the MR paradigm.
>> Obviously the data file is "splittable" or this approach wouldn't work
>> at all.  So perhaps it is possible to hook into MR at the Splitter
>> level, and use that to create a series of mapper tasks where the
>> mappers don't actually read the data directly, but hand off the
>> corresponding data block to the legacy application for processing?
>
> Yes if you're stuck on a platform that just has MR and you want to somehow leverage a
map-only distribution to do this, you should tweak your job to (a) use empty splits and (b)
run infinitely. For (a), take a look at the Sleep Job example [1] that utilizes empty splits
- no data, but you can control number of mappers, etc. and have mapper logic do work. For
(b), study the SleepJob's mapper to see how it periodically reports progress or status changes
(can be done via a daemon thread too) such that the framework does not think it has died or
gone unresponsive.

--
Harsh J