From Jeff Bean <jwfb...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: A simple question - how to understand version number in "Hadoop-0.20.2+923.421" ?
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 17:47:35 GMT
This is a Cloudera release level.

Specifically, it's CDH3, update 5. It means we've taken hadoop-0.20.2,
added 923 additional patches during beta for CDH3, 421 patches applied
after the stable version of CDH.

https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/DOC/CDH+Version+and+Packaging+Information

A dot (.) patch level such as 923.21 indicates that a total of 944 patches
have been applied to the pristine source. In the case of CDH3
(hadoop-0.20.2+923.21), 923 patches were applied during the beta phase
before the Stable CDH3u0 release, and 21 more patches were applied after
Cloudera created a new branch for the CDH3u0 release. Once CDH3u0 was
released, further patches at CDH3u1, u2 and so on increment the dot patch
level.

Jeff