From Mohit Anchlia <mohitanch...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Query mongodb
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2013 15:32:31 GMT
Hadoop knows about files and blocks so you can achieve data locality if you are accessing files
directly

I think, In your case you'll have to develop your own logic that can take advantage of it

Sent from my iPhone

On Jan 16, 2013, at 6:56 AM, John Lilley <john.lilley@redpoint.net> wrote:

> Um, I think you and I are talking about the same thing, but maybe not?
>
> Certainly HBase/MongoDB are HDFS-aware, so I would expect that if I am a client program
running outside of the Hadoop cluster and I do a query, the database tools will construct
query processing such that data is read and processed in an optimal fashion (using MapReduce?),
before the aggregated information is shipped to me on the client side.

> The question I was asking is a little different although hopefully the answer is just
as simple.  Can I write mapper/reducer that queries HBase/MongoDB and have MR schedule my
mappers such that each mapper is receiving tuples that have been read in a locality-aware
fashion?

> john

pull the data, process it and push it back to your MongoDB backed datastore by writing MR
jobs.

> It is also 100% possible to query Hbase or JSON files, or anything else for that matter,
stored in HDFS.

> Warm Regards,
> Tariq
> https://mtariq.jux.com/
> cloudfront.blogspot.com
>

> On Wed, Jan 16, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Panshul Whisper <ouchwhisper@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
> Is it possible or how is it possible to query mongodb directly from hadoop.
>
> Or is it possible to query hbase or json files stored in hdfs in a similar way as we
can query the json documents in mongodb.