From Brad Sarsfield <b...@bing.com>
Subject RE: Permissions while running bin/hadoop
Date Wed, 12 Dec 2012 18:05:32 GMT
Hi Jenny,

You should consider looking at the branch-1-win which has removed the cygwin dependency for
running Hadoop on Windows.  There are vendors (Hortonworks, Microsoft) that provide free windows
install packages that are simple to install as well.

~Brad

From: Jennifer Lopez [mailto:lopez.mirinda@gmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, December 11, 2012 10:08 PM
To: user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Reg: Permissions while running bin/hadoop

I am using Hadoop 1.1.1 to prepare a POC for a simple project. I am using Windows 7 and cygwin
for the same and it is a single node setup. I have only my windows machine to use for this
purpose and I login with my account that is created by my company.

I run all the commands from cygwin.

I am trying to setup the Standalone Operation and Pseudo-Distributed Operation as mentioned
in the following link.
http://hadoop.apache.org/docs/r0.20.0/quickstart.html#Prepare+to+Start+the+Hadoop+Cluster

Scenario 1: Standalone Operation, no entries in the conf/*-site.xml
ran bin/hadoop jar hadoop*-exam*.jar grep input output 'dfs[a-z.]+'

Error:

12/12/12 11:05:45 ERROR security.UserGroupInformation: PriviledgedActionException as:<user-id>
cause:java.io.IOException: Failed to set permissions of path: \tmp\hadoop-<user-id>\mapred\staging\<user-id>1619674617\.staging
to 0700

I tried chmod 0700 to the above folder. But the error persists.

Scenario 2: Pseudo-Distributed Operation

Made necessary changes @ conf/*-site.xml as mentioned in the above link
ran the following commands
bin/hadoop namenode
bin/hadoop datanode
bin/start-mapred.sh

my jps states that

4524 JobTracker
7120 Jps
5200 DataNode
4736 NameNode

I look at my logs and find that the tasktracker had problem starting up.

Error:
2012-12-12 11:24:47,726 ERROR org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker: Can not start task tracker
because java.io.IOException: Failed to set permissions of path: \tmp\hadoop-<user-id>\mapred\local\taskTracker
to 0755
I tried chmod 0755 to the above folder. But the error persists.

When tasktracker prompts for password <user-id>@localhost's password, I enter my login
password

what am I missing here? Any help would be highly appreciated.

I would not be getting any access to *nix machines nor can I install a dual OS. Company restrictions.

--Jenny