From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Question related to Number of Mapper
Date Wed, 07 Nov 2012 17:30:53 GMT
The larger question is how many blocks are required to store a 100MB file if the HDFS block
size is 64MB.

If it takes 2 blocks then when you run your job, you will have 1 mapper per block, unless
the file is not splittable. (But from your example its a simple text file which is splittable.)

Again, where are you getting these questions?

On Nov 7, 2012, at 10:46 AM, Ramasubramanian Narayanan <ramasubramanian.narayanan@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thanks!
>
> But it is given as 100 Mappers... I think we can also use 'n' number of Mappers as the
same as the number of input files... (not for this question)... If you know more detail on
that please share..

> Note : I forgot from where this question I taken :)
>
> regards,
> Rams.
>
> On Wed, Nov 7, 2012 at 10:01 PM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> 0 Custer didn't run. He got surrounded and then massacred.  :-P (See Custer's last stand
at Little Big Horn)

> Ok... plain text files 100 files 2 blocks each would by default attempt to schedule 200
mappers.

> Is this one of those online Cert questions?
>
> On Nov 7, 2012, at 10:20 AM, Ramasubramanian Narayanan <ramasubramanian.narayanan@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > Hi,
> >
> > If a  Custer’s HDFS block size is 64MB. You have a directory containing 100 plain
text files, each of which Is 100MB in size. The InputFormat for your job is TextInputFormat.
How many Mappers will run?