From Gaurav Dasgupta <gdsay...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How to reduce total shuffle time
Date Wed, 29 Aug 2012 04:33:57 GMT
Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I will try working on recommended suggestions and
provide feedback.

Abhi,

In the JobTracker Web UI -> Job Tracker History, go to the specific job. Go
to Reduce Task List. Enter into the first reduce task attempt. There you
can see the start time. It is the time when the shuffle (part of reduce
phase) actually starts.
Then again, go to JobTracker Main Page -> Job Tracker History -> Same Job.
Click on "Analyse This Job". Scroll down to the portion where you can see
the "Last Shuffle Finish Time".
Calculate the difference/gap between both the times. That is your Job's
Total Shuffle Time.
Thanks,
Gaurav Dasgupta