From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: Can Hadoop replace the use of MQ b/w processes?
Date Sun, 19 Aug 2012 21:49:52 GMT
There has been some work to replace the use of queues with HBase.
This would be used to feed processes off the queue to help balance out the load on the cluster.

In one specific use case, this was effective because the time spent processing each mapper.map()
iteration is a couple of orders of magnitude as the time it takes to pull the data from the
'queue' and to each node for processing.

Again, YMMV, it is an interesting hack though....

On Aug 19, 2012, at 11:46 AM, Robert Nicholson <robert.nicholson@gmail.com> wrote:

> We have an application or a series of applications that listen to incoming feeds they
then distribute this data in XML form to a number of queues.  Another set of processes listen
to these queues and process the messages. Order of processing is important in so far as related
messages need to be processed in sequence hence today all related messages go to the same
queue and are processed by the same queue consumer.

> The idea would be replace the use of MQ with some kind of reliable distributed dispatch.
Does Hadoop provide that?