From GUOJUN Zhu <guojun_...@freddiemac.com>
Subject Disable combiner in mapper while keep it in reducer
Date Thu, 31 May 2012 17:27:48 GMT
Hi,

We are using the old API 0.20.2 of cloudera CDH3.  When I have the
combiner set (just using the reducer class), it works both in the mapper
and reducer.  In the mapper, it only aggregate a couple of records a time,
while in the reducer, it aggregates 1000 a time.  The reducer has some
overhead.  And this overhead is deteriorated and significant because a
mapper task run reducer/combiner as many times as groups (# of different
output keys) sequentially.  Can I turn it off in mapper while keep it on
reducer?

Zhu, Guojun
Modeling Sr Graduate
571-3824370