From shrish bajpai <random_unk...@hotmail.co.uk>
Subject Throwable child error
Date Mon, 30 Apr 2012 14:38:14 GMT
Hi All,

I am trying to run map-reduce job using "Elastic MapReduce" but I am getting the following
errors:

java.lang.Throwable: Child Error
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:271)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 137.
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:258)

Too many fetch-failures

java.lang.Throwable: Child Error
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:271)
Caused by: java.io.IOException: Task process exit with nonzero status of 134.
at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskRunner.run(TaskRunner.java:258)

However this job is running absolutely fine using same type of instances on EC2 (except that
in case of EC2 the data is stored in the local instance volume). For both the cases I used
the following configuration:

instances type: m1.small
number of instances: 1
data set: 10gb of data with files of 10 mb each.
Bootstrap settings:
-m mapred.child.java.opts=-Xmx1024m -m mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum=2 -m mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum=1

Further to this, I also ran the same job using m1.large instances on EMR and it ran absolutely
fine.