From Stuti Awasthi <stutiawas...@hcl.com>
Subject RE: Calling one MR job within another MR job
Date Thu, 05 Apr 2012 06:07:30 GMT
Thanks everyone,

So with this discussion, there are 2 main opinions I got :

1.      Not to call one MR job from inside another MR job.

2.      Can use distributed cache (but not good for very large file).
I want to design the system so that I can efficiently do the processing. So if I run MR job
to process File2 first and store its data in KeyValueFormat in HDFS.
Once this job is complete, I start with another MR job to process File1. Now since each I/p
line of File1 will require  to get the some data from output of first MR job.

1.      Normal way to do is , For each input line for 2nd MR job, it will loop through the
contents of output from MR job1 and get the relevant data for processing.

2.      Since I have stored output of File2 in key-value format, can I directly get the value
for specific key.

So I want to know that if I have output1 in KeyValueFormat in HDFS. I run a separate job with
different I/p file and wants to access data from output1 on the basis of keys, can we attain
that without looping output1.

Thanks

From: Praveen Kumar K J V S [mailto:praveenkjvs.developer@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2012 6:43 PM
To: mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: Re: Calling one MR job within another MR job

Dear Stuti,

As per the mail chain I uderstand you want to do SetJoin on two sets File1 and File2 with
some join finction F(F1,F2). On this assumption, please find my reply below:

Set join is not simple and that too if input the input is very large. It essestially does
a cartesian product between the two sets F1 and F2 and filter out the required data based
on some function F(F1, F2).

What i mean is say you have two files each with 10Lakh lines, then to perform a set join you
essentially do 100Lakh operations and filter phase works on these 100Lakh results to filter
out the required ones.

Hence such a problem being exponentially inreasing in input size, it is helpful if you know
how to Set-Join funciton works. having such insight is helpful.

Though I have to admit, that these kind of problems are still under active reasearch, please
refer links below for more detail:

    *   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiuUGXWRzPA - google tech talks
    *   http://www.slideshare.net/rvernica/efficient-parallel-setsimilarity-joins-using-mapreduce-sigmod-2010-slides
    *   http://research.microsoft.com/apps/pubs/default.aspx?id=76165
    *   http://www.slideshare.net/ydn/4-similarity-joinshadoopsummit2010
@Distributed cahce: Its not great if you have huge files. By Default you have to size limit
of 10GB as the max size for a distributed file

@launching jobs inside a mapper: Not a great idea, because for every key value you will launch
a job and so essentially you will end up launching  very huge number of jobs. Absolutely No
No. A bug in production can bring down the cluster. Also its difficult to track all these
jobs.

Thank,
Praveen
On Wed, Apr 4, 2012 at 6:17 PM, <jagatsingh@gmail.com<mailto:jagatsingh@gmail.com>>