From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Good resource to learn .20 API?
Date Wed, 08 Feb 2012 04:04:51 GMT
Hey Keith,

The new API is still unstable, and we continue to support the 0.19
stable (old) API even in 0.23, but here is a good guide:
http://www.slideshare.net/sh1mmer/upgrading-to-the-new-map-reduce-api
[The first part, from Owen]

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 3:20 AM, Keith Wiley <kwiley@keithwiley.com> wrote:
> Would anyone recommend a good book or online resource that specifically teaches the .20
API as opposed to the .19 API?  It's several years old and I've really dropped the ball on
this one.

> As a followup...I'm mildly curious whether later versions (it's up to .23 I believe)
offer substantial differences in the Java (nonstreaming) coding environment.  Since the majority
of my Hadoop heavy-lifting has used streaming, I've never really honed my Hadoop Java skills.

> I say "mildly" because I'll probably be using Cloudera's distribution which is .20, but
I'm still curious how far behind my Hadoop skills are.  As I've admitted here, I've never
really made a push to jump the .19/.20 divide.  I'm wondering if future chasms lie ahead
as well.

> Thanks.

> Keith Wiley     kwiley@keithwiley.com     keithwiley.com    music.keithwiley.com
>
> "What I primarily learned in grad school is how much I *don't* know.
> Consequently, I left grad school with a higher ignorance to knowledge ratio than
> when I entered."
>                                           --  Keith Wiley

Harsh J
Customer Ops. Engineer