From Marcos Ortiz <mlor...@uci.cu>
Subject Re: Query Regarding design MR job for Billing
Date Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:31:30 GMT
On 02/27/2012 11:33 PM, Stuti Awasthi wrote:
> Hi Marcos,
>
> Thanks for the pointers. I am also thinking on the similar lines.
> I am doubtful at 1 point :
>
> I will be having separate data files for every interval. Let's take example if I have
5 mins interval file which contain data for 2 hours and 10 mins. In this scenario I want to
process 2 hours data with hours job and 10 mins data with mins job. Now since I will provide
my data file as Input to MR jobs so I think original file needs to split in 2 files : HourFile
and
> MinsFile. HourFile wll contain data for 2 hours and MinsFile will conatin data for 10
mins.
Well, you can with Oozie(http://yahoo.github.com/oozie/) or
Cascading(http://cascading.org) for complex workflow programming.
1- For example, you can write a MapReduce job for spit your data: one by
hour, and one by mins. In your case: a simple output would be one data
file containing your data for 2 hours, and another data file for your 10
mins. I think that this job could be Mapper-only type with the
MultipleOutputFormat.

2- Then you can write the different jobs for each interval
(HourIntervalJob, MonthIntervalJob, etc), spliting its outputs depending
of each interval in HDFS.

You can define your complete workflow, and then, you can evaluate Oozie
or Cascading to control that workflow.
Regards

Remember that all thes are suggestions. I'm not a MR expert

> I have attained file splitting with simple Java class but I think there is too much I/O
operations and if I can attain this also in MR or in some efficient way, it will be good because
the original data files can be huge and then the initial breaking of files will itself take
too much time.

> Please suggest.
> Thanks

be a solution (at least I think that).
> You can read the "design patterns" for MapReduce algorithms proposed by Jimmy Lin and
Chris Dyer on his "Data-Intensive Text Processing with MapReduce" book.

> Regards
>

> On 02/27/2012 05:39 AM, Stuti Awasthi wrote:
>> No. The data will be either of 5 mins interval, or 1 hour interval or 1 day interval
and so on ....
>> So suppose utilization is for 40 days then I will charge 30 days according to months
billing and remaining 10 days as days billing job.

Billing>.
>>> Now these datafiles will be containing timestamp either at minute interval, hour
inverval, day interval, month interval, year interval. Every type of interval will be having
different type of calculation for billing so basically different jobs for every type of interval.

>>> Suppose I have a data file which contain minute interval timestamp. I have a
scenario that if data is present for hours , then it should be processed by hourly job and
remaining will be processed by minutejob.

>>> Example :
>>>
>>> 2/10/12 6:40 AM<data for billing>
>>> 2/10/12 6:40 AM<data for billing>
>>> .
>>> 2/10/12 6:45 AM<data for billing>
>>> 2/10/12 6:45 AM<data for billing>
>>> .
>>> .
>>> 2/10/12 7:40 AM<data for billing>
>>> 2/10/12 7:40 AM<data for billing>
>>> .
>>> .
>>> 2/10/12 7:45 AM<data for billing>
>>> 2/10/12 7:45 AM<data for billing>
>>> .
>>>
>>> Now I want data between 2/10/12 6:40 AM to 2/10/12 7:40 AM is processed by Hourjob
and 2/10/12 7:45 AM is processed by MinuteJob.
>>> Please suggest how to design my MR to achieve this.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Stuti
>>>
>>> ::DISCLAIMER::
>>> -
>>>
>>> The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended
for the named recipient(s) only.
>>> It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its
>>> affiliates. Any views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of
the author and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of HCL or its affiliates.
>>> Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure,
>>> modification, distribution and / or publication of this message
>>> without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is
>>> strictly prohibited. If you have received this email in error please delete it
and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any mail and attachments please check them
for viruses and defect.

>>> -

Marcos Luis Ortíz Valmaseda
  Sr. Software Engineer (UCI)
  http://marcosluis2186.posterous.com
  http://postgresql.uci.cu/blog/38

Fin a la injusticia, LIBERTAD AHORA A NUESTROS CINCO COMPATRIOTAS QUE SE ENCUENTRAN INJUSTAMENTE
EN PRISIONES DE LOS EEUU!
http://www.antiterroristas.cu
http://justiciaparaloscinco.wordpress.com