From Arun C Murthy <...@hortonworks.com>
Subject Re: Yarn related questions:
Date Thu, 05 Jan 2012 19:11:34 GMT
Are you writing your own application i.e. custom ApplicationMaster?

You need to pass ResourceRequest (RR) with a valid hostname alongwith (optionally) RR with
rack and also a mandatory RR with * as the resource-name.

Arun

On Jan 4, 2012, at 8:04 PM, raghavendhra rahul wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I tried to set the client node for launching the container within the application master.
> I have set the parameter as
> request.setHostName("client");
> but the containers are not launched in the destined host.Instead the loop goes on continuously.
> 2012-01-04 15:11:48,535 INFO appmaster.ApplicationMaster (ApplicationMaster.java:run(204))
- Current application state: loop=95, appDone=false, total=2, requested=2, completed=0, failed=0,
currentAllocated=0

> On Wed, Jan 4, 2012 at 11:24 PM, Robert Evans <evans@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
> Ann,
>
> A container more or less corresponds to a task in MRV1.  There is one exception to this,
as the ApplicationMaster also runs in a container.  The ApplicationMaster will request new
containers for each mapper or reducer task that it wants to launch.  There is separate code
from the container that will serve up the intermediate mapper output and is run as part of
the NodeManager (Similar to the TaskTracker from before).  When the ApplicationMaster requests
a container it also includes with it a hint as to where it would like the container placed.
 In fact it actually makes three request one for the exact node, one for the rack the node
is on, and one that is generic and could be anywhere.  The scheduler will try to honor those
requests in the same order so data locality is still considered and generally honored.  Yes
there is the possibility of back and forth to get a container, but the ApplicationMaster generally
will try to use all of the containers that it is given, even if they are not optimal.

> --Bobby Evans
>

> On 1/4/12 10:23 AM, "Ann Pal" <ann_r_pal@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I am trying to understand more about Hadoop Next Gen Map Reduce and had the following
questions based on the following post:

> http://developer.yahoo.com/blogs/hadoop/posts/2011/03/mapreduce-nextgen-scheduler/
>
> [1] How does application decide how many containers it needs? The containers are used
to store the intermediate result at the map nodes?

> [2] During resource allocation, if the resource manager has no mapping between map tasks
to resources allocated, how can it properly allocate the right resources. It might end up
allocating resources on a node, which does not have data for the map task, and hence is not
optimal. In this case the Application Master will have to reject it and request again . There
could be considerable back- and- forth between application master and resource manager before
it could converge. Is this right?