From Alex Kozlov <ale...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: What is the cost of using a counter
Date Thu, 08 Dec 2011 19:21:28 GMT
Hi Steve, One thing to keep in mind is that the counters in Hadoop are
passed via heartbeats, so you'll see updates only 2 seconds or so.  I have
seen implementations with 1,000s of counters w/o a noticeable performance
impact (since they are passed via heartbeats and pre-aggregated in a
reducer the frequency does not matter).

--
Alex Kozlov PhD
Senior Solutions Architect