From Ann Pal <ann_r_...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Map Reduce Phase questions:
Date Fri, 16 Dec 2011 21:23:35 GMT
Thanks a lot for your answers!
For [1] With the "Pull" model chances of seeing a TCP-Incast problem where multiple map nodes
send data to the same reduce node at the same time are minimal (since the reducer is responsible
for retrieving data it can handle). Is this a valid assumption?

For [3] what i meant was how does the infra decide how many map/reduce slots are present for
a given node. Is it based on capacity (memory/cpu) of the node?

Thanks again in advance..

________________________________
 From: Harsh J <harsh@cloudera.com>
To: mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org; Ann Pal <ann_r_pal@yahoo.com>
Sent: Friday, December 16, 2011 6:22 AM
Subject: Re: Map Reduce Phase questions:

On Fri, Dec 16, 2011 at 7:03 PM, Ann Pal <ann_r_pal@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi,
> I had some questions specifically on the Map-Reduce phase:
>
> [1] For the reduce phase, the TaskTrackers corresponding to the reduce node,
> poll the Job Tracker to know about maps that have completed and if the
> Jobtracker informs it about maps that are complete, it then pulls the data
> from the map node where the map is complete. This is a "pull" model as
> opposed to "push" model where the map directly sends a region of the map
> output to the appropriate reduce node. Is the pull model the default  in
> 0.20, 0.23 etc ?

Yes, it is.

> In the pull model, how does the Reduce node know it is responsible for a
> particular region of map output? (Is this determined up front? From where it
> gets this information?)

The reducer ID is == the partition ID from the map side. Thereby,
reducer 0 will pull 0th partitions, and so on.

> [2]There can be multiple reduce tasks per reduce node. The number of reduce
> tasks is configurable, How about the number of reduce nodes? How is this
> determined?

Reducers are assigned by the scheduler in use. They are assigned once
per TT heartbeat, to have somewhat of an equal distribution today -
but there is no way to induce locality of reducers from the
user-program itself. So far I've not seen a case where this may be
absolutely necessary to have, as the schedulers today are pretty
capable of doing things right.

> [3]Pre 0.23, The map/reduce tasks slots for a node are allocated statically
> . Is this based on just configuration ?

What do you mean by 'allocated statically' here? Are you talking about
slot limit configurations?

--
Harsh J