From Claudio Martella <claudio.marte...@tis.bz.it>
Subject Map-only output compression
Date Mon, 07 Nov 2011 14:48:49 GMT
Hello list,

I have a map-only job and I'd like to compress the output (possibly
avoiding a re-compression when the map-output gets promoted as final
output).
I can see 4 ways of obtaining it:

1) by defining map to compress through mapred.compress.map.output.*
2) by defining output to compress through mapred.output.compression.*
3) by defining the TextOutputFormat to compress through
TextOutputFormat.setCompressOutput()
4) by composing one or more of the first 3 possibilities

Any insight about how to do this properly? I'm running hadoop 0.20.204.0

--
Claudio Martella
Free Software & Open Technologies

TIS innovation park
Via Siemens 19 | Siemensstr. 19
39100 Bolzano | 39100 Bozen
Tel. +39 0471 068 123
Fax  +39 0471 068 129
claudio.martella@tis.bz.it http://www.tis.bz.it

Short information regarding use of personal data. According to Section 13 of Italian Legislative
Decree no. 196 of 30 June 2003, we inform you that we process your personal data in order
to fulfil contractual and fiscal obligations and also to send you information regarding our
services and events. Your personal data are processed with and without electronic means and
by respecting data subjects' rights, fundamental freedoms and dignity, particularly with regard
to confidentiality, personal identity and the right to personal data protection. At any time
and without formalities you can write an e-mail to privacy@tis.bz.it in order to object the
processing of your personal data for the purpose of sending advertising materials and also
to exercise the right to access personal data and other rights referred to in Section 7 of
Decree 196/2003. The data controller is TIS Techno Innovation Alto Adige, Siemens Street n.
19, Bolzano. You can find the complete information on the web site www.tis.bz.it.