From bigbibguy father <bigbib...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop Security - TaskTracker and Active Directory
Date Sat, 01 Oct 2011 16:36:13 GMT
Thanks Devaraj for responding.

In our case , the LDAP server is the corporate active directory server,
which has the user id and the attributes.

Cluster nodes contact KDC for getting TGT and service tickets for NN and JT
and keep them until the expiry time (7 days). Cluster nodes contact LDAP
Server for each task. So if I understand correctly, the LDAP traffic from
the cluster nodes (around 1000)  will be much more than the Authentication
traffic from cluster nodes.

Why not use the Active Directory as the KDC for authenticating the service
principals (cluster nodes)  also?

In this way , we do not have to manage a separate KDC and worry about it's
availability and health.

We also plan to have one Active Directory server at the same datacenter as
the cluster , but outside the cluster firewall so that LDAP queries have a
higher SLA.

The benefits associated with the local KDC option are below  and my analysis
is added for each of the benefit.

   - It requires less configuration with Active Directory.  - *But cluster
   nodes need to talk to Active Directory for the user details. So it anyway
   needs the configuration with Active Directory *
   - It is comparatively easy to script the creation of many principals and
   keytabs. A principal and keytab must be created for every daemon in the
   cluster, and in a large cluster this can be extremely onerous to do directly
   in Active Directory.  - *This is a one time job and we may be able to
   script this with AD also.*
   - There is no need to involve central Active Directory administrators in
   order to get service principals created. - *We get to manage the OU
   containing the service principals.*
   - It allows for incremental configuration. The Hadoop administrator can
   completely configure and verify the functionality the cluster independently
   of integrating with Active Directory - *Good to have this benefit and
   this is not available in the Active Directory only option*
   - It can serve to shield the corporate Active Directory server(s) from
   the many machines in a Hadoop cluster all requesting Kerberos tickets
   simultaneously. During cluster start-up, Hadoop will effectively be acting
   as a distributed denial of service attack on the central Active Directory
   server, which could adversely affect the performance of the Active Directory
   server. - *The service principal authentication traffic is not that
   frequent and hence these spikes should not be much of a problem for our
   highly available Active Directory. *

      But the drawback for local KDC option is that we need to maintain that
KDC server and make sure its highly available with backup server.

Thanks and Regards,
BBG