From "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <matthew.go...@monsanto.com>
Subject RE: How to pull data in the Map/Reduce functions?
Date Sat, 24 Sep 2011 14:50:37 GMT
Praveen,

Functionality wise you don't gain much from using the new API and most would actually recommend
that you stay with the old API as it will not be "officially" deprecated until 0.22 / 0.23
(I can't remember which one). If you want to take a look at the classes dig into the packages
for org.apache.hadoop.mapred.* (old) and org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.* (new). Also, I thought
that Definitive Guide second edition and Hadoop In Action covered the new api.

Matt

From: Praveen Sripati [mailto:praveensripati@gmail.com]
Sent: Saturday, September 24, 2011 8:43 AM
To: mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: How to pull data in the Map/Reduce functions?

Hi,

Normally the Hadoop framework calls the map()/reduce() for each record in the input split.
I read in the 'Hadoop : The Definitive Guide' that that data can be pulled using the new MR
API.

What is the new API for pulling the data in the map()/reduce() or is there a sample code?

Thanks,
Praveen
to be received only by persons entitled
to receive such information. If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender immediately. Please delete it and
all attachments from any servers, hard drives or any other media. Other use of this e-mail
by you is strictly prohibited.

by Monsanto, including its
subsidiaries. The recipient of this e-mail is solely responsible for checking for the presence
of "Viruses" or other "Malware".
Monsanto, along with its subsidiaries, accepts no liability for any damage caused by any such
code transmitted by or accompanying
this e-mail or any attachment.

The information contained in this email may be subject to the export control laws and regulations
of the United States, potentially
including but not limited to the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) and sanctions regulations
issued by the U.S. Department of
Treasury, Office of Foreign Asset Controls (OFAC).  As a recipient of this information you
are obligated to comply with all