From Tanweiguo <tanwei...@huawei.com>
Subject Re: Execution Timing Comparison
Date Thu, 29 Sep 2011 09:26:51 GMT
You can check how many Mappers and Reducers are executed in the job. If there is only one,
it should be slower than that on single machine.

发件人: Rajen Bhatt (RBEI/EST1) [mailto:Rajen.Bhatt@in.bosch.com]
发送时间: 2011年9月29日 17:14
收件人: mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org
主题: Execution Timing Comparison

Guys:
I and my student are new to the MapReduce an Hadoop world, so my question may be very basic
one.
We have taken one HD resolution image and performed some basic image processing operations
by partitioning it and sending it to the multiple worker nodes. We are able to send JPEG and
PNG images and from the reducer we are able to received an image after basic operations.
We were just debating that is it OK to perform the timing comparison of such operation on
Hadoop and on single machine?
We are currently feeling that Hadoop is taking more time, may be because we are not actually
implementing it on the cluster but on our QuadCore laptop.
We are also getting feeling that when we perform such operations on thousands and millions
of images we may get better time achievement rather than checking it on the single image.
It would be good if experts group can say something on that.
Thanks and Regards,

~~
Dr. Rajen Bhatt
(Corporate Research @ Robert Bosch, India)