From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: map.input.file returns null for MultipleInputs in Hadoop 0.20.2 version
Date Fri, 09 Sep 2011 12:53:47 GMT
Sahana,

On Fri, Sep 9, 2011 at 5:31 PM, Sahana Bhat <sana.bhat@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>           I found this
> link https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MAPREDUCE-1743 related to the
> subject of my mail.Has this been resolved as yet or is there any workaround
> to get the filename while using MultipleInputs?

One workaround could be to pass your own InputFormat implementations,
whose RecordReaders set the "map.input.file" config property before
they begin reading. I'll take a look at that JIRA, meanwhile.

> We have a restriction to use Hadoop 0.20.2 version as the 0.21.0 version
> release (says unstable,unsupported).Also MultipleInputs uses JobConf and
> hence i cannot get the context object to retrieve the filename :( .

Yes, this is a genuine problem with 0.20.2. I'd reiterate that it is
better if one sticks to the stable API for the 0.20 lifetime. Don't
let the 'deprecated' markers fool you, cause they were 'undeprecated'
later.

--
Harsh J