From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Hive and Hbase not working with cloudera VM
Date Thu, 08 Sep 2011 13:20:29 GMT
Hello Bejoy,

Moving this discussion to the cdh-user@cloudera.org lists
(Subscribe-able at
https://groups.google.com/a/cloudera.org/group/cdh-user/topics) since
it may be Cloudera-VM specific.

(bcc'd common-user and mapreduce-user. Please avoid cross posting in future! :))

My comments inline.

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:06 PM, Bejoy KS <bejoy.hadoop@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>         I was using cloudera training VM to test out my map reduce codes
> which was working really well. Now i do have some requirements to run
> hive,hbase,Sqoop as well on on this VM for testing purposes. For hive and
> hbase I'm able to log in on to the cli client, but none of the commands are
> getting executed. The errors popping out are as follows
>
> HBase : a simple create command
> ERROR: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException:
> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ZooKeeperConnectionException:
> KeeperErrorCode = ConnectionLoss for /hbase

Can you ensure ZooKeeper is up and running? HBase requires ZooKeeper
for various management and operational reasons.

$ /etc/init.d/hadoop-zookeeper-server restart

> Hive - cmd: show tables;
> FAILED: Error in metadata: javax.jdo.JDOFatalDataStoreException: Cannot get
> a connection, pool error Could not create a validated object, cause: A
> read-only user or a user in a read-only database is not permitted to disable
> read-only mode on a connection.
> NestedThrowables:
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.SQLNestedException: Cannot get a connection, pool
> error Could not create a validated object, cause: A read-only user or a user
> in a read-only database is not permitted to disable read-only mode on a
> connection.
> org.apache.hadoop.hive.ql.exec.DDLTask

Did you run Hive with multiple user names? If there's no critical data
in hive yet, can you try deleting the local metastore_db directory
away and try starting Hive again?

>  I'm on cloudera-demo-0.3.7 demo VM . Please advise.

P.s. There is a new VM available for download with the latest
components at https://ccp.cloudera.com/display/SUPPORT/Downloads for
various types of players. Perhaps you'd like to try those as they are
more recent and come with the latest CDH3u1 packages all set up?

--
Harsh J