From M S Vishwanath Bhat <msvb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need Help with HBase
Date Tue, 16 Aug 2011 07:28:44 GMT
Hi,

Just need small clarification.

HBase is used only to create and maintain Big Tables. Like we can use HBase
to create, append, extend etc etc.. And it runs on any file system. Like if
we point  "rootdir" property in file hbase-site.xml to nfs mount point, it
should still work. Habse doesn't even need Hadoop to create and maintain
large tables.  *BUT *the significance of hadoop comes into the scene only
when I want to run a map/reduce applications on a large table created by
HBase.

Is my above understanding correct? Can anyone please explain if I am wrong?

Thanks,
MS