From "GOEKE, MATTHEW (AG/1000)" <matthew.go...@monsanto.com>
Subject RE: Issue with MR code not scaling correctly with data sizes
Date Fri, 15 Jul 2011 18:36:38 GMT
Bobby,

I am sorry for the cross post as I didn't realize that common was BCC'ed. Won't do it again
:)

This morning I was able to resolve the issue after having a talk with our admin. Turns out
changing configuration parms around data dirs without letting devs know is a bad thing! Thank
you again for the questions as the counters confirmed for me that it actually was outputting
all of my data.

Matt

From: Robert Evans [mailto:evans@yahoo-inc.com]
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2011 9:56 AM
To: mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org
Cc: GOEKE, MATTHEW [AG/1000]
Subject: Re: Issue with MR code not scaling correctly with data sizes

Please don't cross post.  I put common-user in BCC.

I really don't know for sure what is happening especially without the code or more to go on
and debugging something remotely over e-mail is extremely difficult.  You are essentially
doing a cross which is going to be very expensive no matter what you do. But I do have a few
questions for you.

  1.  How large is the IDs file(s) you are using?  Have you updated the amount of heap the
JVM has and the number of slots to accommodate it?
  2.  How are you storing the IDs in RAM to do the join?
  3.  Have you tried logging in your map/reduce code to verify the number of entries you expect
are being loaded at each stage?
  4.  Along with that have you looked at the counters for your map./reduce program to verify
that the number of records are showing flowing through the system as expected?

--Bobby