From Decimus Phostle <decimusphos...@gmail.com>
Subject Hadoop pipes (wordcount) example failing (with hadoop 0.21.0)
Date Wed, 27 Jul 2011 20:55:42 GMT
Hello Folks,

I am trying to run a simplistic Hadoop pipes program (the typical
wordcount example). Unfortunately I am seeing a bunch of errors while
running it as follows:

$ bin/hadoop pipes -Dhadoop.pipes.java.recordreader=true \
                  -Dhadoop.pipes.java.recordwriter=true \
                  -input <inputHDFSPath> \
                  -output <outputHDFSPath> \
                  -program <cppBinaryHDFSPath>

This is resulting in a NullPointerException:

java.io.IOException: pipe child exception
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.pipes.Application.abort(Application.java:160)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.pipes.PipesMapRunner.run(PipesMapRunner.java:102)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.MapTask.runOldMapper(MapTask.java:397)
        at org.apache.hadoop.security.UserGroupInformation.doAs(UserGroupInformation.java:742)
        at org.apache.hadoop.mapred.pipes.PipesMapRunner.run(PipesMapRunner.java:86)
        ... 7 more

More details have been posted here: http://goo.gl/GMy8Q

It would be great if someone could point me in the right direction.
Thanks in advance!!

Regards,
DP