From Saket Joshi <sjo...@touchcommerce.com>
Subject RE: mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum is not taking into effect
Date Tue, 05 Jul 2011 19:02:35 GMT
Praveen,

You also need to set the property "mapred.map.tasks"  to the value  derived from the following
formula ( mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum * Number of tasktracker Nodes in your cluster)
. I am using Hadoop 0.20.2 and I am able to increase the number of maps using these two mentoined
properties. Similar settings apply  for  the reducer .

-Saket

From: praveen.peddi@nokia.com [mailto:praveen.peddi@nokia.com]
Sent: Friday, July 01, 2011 1:03 PM
To: mapreduce-user@hadoop.apache.org
Subject: mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum is not taking into effect

Hi all,
I am using hadoop 0.20.2. I am setting the property mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum =
4 (same for reduce also) on my job conf but I am still seeing max of only 2 map and reduce
tasks on each node. I know my machine can run 4 maps and 4 reduce tasks in parallel. Is this
a bug in 0.20.2 or am I doing something wrong?

      conf.set("mapred.tasktracker.map.tasks.maximum", "4");
      conf.set("mapred.tasktracker.reduce.tasks.maximum", "4");

Thanks
Praveen

This communication, along with any attachments, may include confidential TouchCommerce Inc.
information. Any distribution or copying of this material is strictly prohibited. If you are
not the intended recipient of this transmission, please contact the sender immediately.