From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: how to get output files of fixed size in map-reduce job output
Date Wed, 22 Jun 2011 18:46:12 GMT
CombineFileInputFormat should help with doing some locality, but it
would not be as perfect as having the file loaded to the HDFS itself
with a 1 GB block size (block sizes are per file properties, not
global ones). You may consider that as an alternative approach.

I do not get (ii). I meant by my last sentence the same thing I've
explained just above here. If your block size is 64 MB, and your
request splits of 1 GB (via plain FileInputFormat), then even the 64
MB read can't be guaranteed local (theoretically speaking).

--
Harsh J