From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: How many bytes does heart beat message and return value contain?
Date Fri, 10 Jun 2011 20:06:10 GMT
Shen,

It would really vary depending on how many TaskStatus objects the
TaskTracker has to report in the heartbeat. If there are none (zero
activity), I think the byte value (per Visual VM here) comes to about
60B which you can perhaps add upon.

Note that I'm using OSX so perhaps the ResourceStats carried within
aren't properly for me (some of these are Linux specific). It
shouldn't exceed 100B in any case though, I think.

Similarly, the response carries variable numbers of TaskTrackerAction
objects, and other job related information. At zero activity I see it
reported as 32B.

HTH. These are in memory values -- network tx. is made with some form
of serialization applied, and I'm unsure as to how much the variance
would be.

--
Harsh J