From Harsh J <ha...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Mapping one key per Map Task
Date Mon, 23 May 2011 16:50:46 GMT
Vincent,

You _might_ lose locality by splitting beyond the block splits, and
the tasks although better 'parallelized', may only end up performing
worse. A good way to instead increase task #s is to go the block size
way (lower block size, getting more splits at the cost of little extra
NN space). After all, block sizes are per-file properties.

But if you'd really want to go the per-record way, an NLine-like
implementation for SequenceFiles using what Joey and Jason have
pointed out - would be the best way. (NLineInputFormat doesn't cover
the use of SequenceFiles directly - Its implemented with a LineReader)

--
Harsh J