From Geoffry Roberts <geoffry.robe...@gmail.com>
Subject Three Questions
Date Tue, 03 May 2011 17:21:50 GMT
All,

I have three questions I would appreciate if anyone could weigh in on.  I
apologise in advance if I sound whiny.

1.  The namenode logs, when I view them from a browser, are displayed with
the lines wrapped upon each other as if there were no new line characters
('\n') in the output.  I access these files using the dfshealth.jsp thing
that comes in the distribution.  Is this intentional? and Can it be fixed?
If I use a browser to look at any other log4j log file, I don't get this.

2.  In my own MR jobs, I place log statements.  The log level in
$HADOOP_HOME/conf/log4j.properties is set to INFO.  My log statements are
set to INFO, but I get nothing in the user logs, which are a bugger to read
(see question 1).  Am I missing something?

3.  I am attempting to use
org.apache.hadoop.mapreduce.lib.output.MultipleOutputs.
      multipleOutputsObject.write(new Text("some text"), value,
"my_file_name_here");
I am not getting any output files with the names I specify.  Instead I get
the part* file names we all know and love so well.  I've looked at the
source code for MultipleOutputs and found nothing obvious, but since the
logging is not working ( see question 2) need I go on.  Is anyone else
having either trouble or success with multiple outputs using the
aforementioned class?

Thanks
--
Geoffry Roberts