From Marcos Ortiz <mlor...@uci.cu>
Subject Re: Dataset comparison and ranking - views
Date Tue, 08 Mar 2011 15:56:17 GMT
On Tue, 2011-03-08 at 10:51 +0530, Sonal Goyal wrote:
> Hi Marcos,
>
> Thanks for replying. I think I was not very clear in my last post. Let
> me describe my use case in detail.
>
> I have two datasets coming from different sources, lets call them
> dataset1 and dataset2. Both of them contain records for entities, say
> Person. A single record looks like:
>
> First Name Last Name,  Street, City, State,Zip
>
> We want to compare each record of dataset1 with each record of
> dataset2, in effect a cross join.
>
> We know that the way data is collected, names will not match exactly,
> but we want to find close enoughs. So we have a rule which says create
> bigrams and find the matching bigrams. If 0 to 5 match, give a score
> of 10, if 5-15 match, give a score of 20 and so on.
Well, a approach for this problem has a solution given by Milind
Bhandarkar, on his presentation called "Practical Problem Solving with
Hadoop and Pig".
He talk about a solution for Bigrams giving a example with word
matching.
Bigrams
========

Input: A large text corpus
• Output: List(word , Top (word ))
• Two Stages:
• Generate all possible bigrams
• Find most frequent K bigrams for each word

Bigrams: Stage 1
Map
===
• Generate all possible Bigrams
• Map Input: Large text corpus
• Map computation
• In each sentence, or each “word word ”
• Output (word , word ), (word , word )
• Partition & Sort by (word , word )

pairs.pl
--------
while(<STDIN>) {
chomp;
$_ =~ s/[^a-zA-Z]+/ /g ;
$_ =~ s/^\s+//g ;
$_ =~ s/\s+$//g ;
$_ =~ tr/A-Z/a-z/;
my @words = split(/\s+/, $_);
for (my $i = 0; $i < $#words - 1; ++$i) {
print "$words[$i]:$words[$i+1]\n";
print "$words[$i+1]:$words[$i]\n";
}
}

Bigrams: Stage 1
Reduce
======
• Input: List(word , word ) sorted and partitioned
• Output: List(word , [freq, word ])
• Counting similar to Unigrams example

count.pl
--------

$_ = <STDIN>; chomp;
my ($pw1, $pw2) = split(/:/, $_);
$count = 1;
while(<STDIN>) {
chomp;
my ($w1, $w2) = split(/:/, $_);
if ($w1 eq $pw1 && $w2 eq $pw2) {
$count++;
} else {
print "$pw1:$count:$pw2\n";
$pw1 = $w1;
$pw2 = $w2;
$count = 1;
}
}
print "$pw1:$count:$pw2\n";

Bigrams: Stage 2
Map
===
• Input: List(word , [freq,word ])
• Output: List(word , [freq, word ])
• Identity Mapper (/bin/cat)
• Partition by word
• Sort descending by (word , freq)

Bigrams: Stage 2
Reduce
======
• Input: List(word , [freq,word ])
• partitioned by word
• sorted descending by (word , freq)
• Output: Top (List(word , [freq, word ]))
• For each word, throw away after K records

firstN.pl
$N = 5;
$_ = <STDIN>; chomp;
my ($pw1, $count, $pw2) = split(/:/, $_);
$idx = 1;
$out = "$pw1\t$pw2,$count;";
while(<STDIN>) {
chomp;
my ($w1, $c, $w2) = split(/:/, $_);
if ($w1 eq $pw1) {
if ($idx < $N) {
$out .= "$w2,$c;";
$idx++;
}
} else {
print "$out\n";
$pw1 = $w1;
$idx = 1;
$out = "$pw1\t$w2,$c;";
}
}
print "$out\n";

You can translate this approach to your especific problem.
I recommend you that you discuss this with him because he has a vast
experience with all this, much more than me.

Regards