From Jacques <whs...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Best approach for accessing secondary map task outputs from reduce tasks?
Date Mon, 14 Feb 2011 03:35:55 GMT
It was my understanding based on the FAQ and my personal experience, that
using the MutlipleOutputs class, or just relying on OutputComitter only
works for the final phase of the job.  (E.g. the reduce phase in a
map+reduce job and the map phase only in the case of reducer=NONE).  In the
case I'm talking about, I want the map output to be committed and available
to the reducers.  If I understand the intricacies of MapReduce, the map
output of a full map+reduce job is never put onto HDFS but is rather
streamed directly from the mapper to the requesting reducers.  To use (2)
effectively, I only want to commit the secondary output to HDFS if the map
task is completed successfully.

This seems to either require:
a) Assuming that the first time map.cleanup is called for a particular
split, that it is the definitive call for that split (and thus commit the
secondary information at that point)
b) Or, somehow always commit the map output to directories named for that
task attempt and then hook a delete of the map task output for those map
tasks which weren't committed.

Am I missing something and/or over-complicating things?

Thanks for your help
Jacques