From Chase Bradford <chase.bradf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hadoop fs -put vs writing text files to hadoop as sequence files
Date Thu, 17 Feb 2011 02:33:13 GMT
We use sequence files for storing text data, and you definitely notice the cost of compressing
client side while streaming to hdfs.  if I remember correctly, it took about 10x.  That drove
us to using writer treads that fed off a single input stream a few thousand lines at a time,
and wrote to a hdfs directory with the desired name.