From Harsh J <qwertyman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: what is the map reduce fetcher??(and why is it binding to localhost when TT binds to my host???)
Date Sun, 02 Jan 2011 20:26:44 GMT
Hello Dean,

On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 1:07 AM, Hiller, Dean  (Contractor)
<dean.hiller@broadridge.com> wrote:
> 2011-01-02 12:32:26,230 INFO org.apache.hadoop.mapred.TaskTracker: Starting thread: Map-events
fetcher for all reduce tasks on tracker_DENVER-DHILLER.jsq.bsg.ad.adp.com:127.0.0.1/127.0.0.1:34835

This is normal if am right. A TaskTracker's service by default binds
to the loopback as it only needs to communicate with its child Task
JVMs and has no communication from outside.

> EVEN WORSE…This port 34835 keeps changing on startup so when using colinux,
> I get screwed in that I can’t telnet into the port(ie. No programs can
> connect to that port) so this bound port becomes useless as no one will be
> able to talk to it.  Is there any way

The TaskTracker binding port by default is an ephemeral one.

> 1.       To fix it to an address?

For Hadoop 0.20.2, the "Expert mode (aka, think twice before
changing)" configuration you're looking for is:
mapred.task.tracker.report.address

That property by default is set to the string "127.0.0.1:0",
explaining the above behavior. I haven't seen it cause trouble really
-- what issue are you facing, and are you absolutely sure it is cause
of this?

--
Harsh J
www.harshj.com